UPSC CDS 1 2018 | Apply | Eligibility Criteria | Important Dates | Combined Defence Services 1 2018 | Exam Pattern | Syllabus | Question Paper | Results | Answer Key
UPSC CDS 1 2018 | Apply | Eligibility Criteria | Important Dates | Combined Defence Services 1 2018 | Exam Pattern | Syllabus | Question Paper | Results | Answer Key
CDS 1 2018 Syllabus, Eligibility Conditions, Fees Apply, Last Date Combined Defence Services 1 2018
Combined Defence Services Examination (I), 2018
|Date of Notification||08/11/2017|
|Date of Commencement of Examination||04/02/2018|
|Duration of Examination||One Day|
|Last Date for Receipt of Applications||04/12/2017 – 6:00pm|
|Date of Upload||08/11/2017|
Fictitious Fee UPSC CDS 1 2018 Combined Defence Services 1 2018
HOW TO APPLY CDS 1 2018 UPSC Combined Defence Services 1 2018
- Candidates are required to apply Online using the link www.upsconline.nic.in
- Detailed instructions for filling up Online Applications are available on the above-mentioned website.
- The applicants are advised to submit only single application; however if due to any unavoidable situation, if he/she submits another/multiple applications, then he/she must ensure that application with the higher RID (Registration ID) is complete in all respects like applicants’ details, examination centre, photograph, signature, fee etc. The applicants who are submitting multiple applications should note that only the applications with higher RID (Registration ID) shall be entertained by the Commission and fee paid against one RID shall not be adjusted against any other RID.
- All candidates whether already in Government Service including candidates serving in the Armed Forces, Government owned industrial undertakings or other similar organizations or in private employment should submit their applications online direct to the Commission.
- N.B.I: Persons already in Government Service, whether in permanent or temporary capacity or as work charged employees other than casual or daily rated employees or those serving under the Public Enterprises are, however, required to inform their Head of Office/Department in writing that they have applied for the Examination.
- N.B.II: Candidates serving in the Armed Forces are required to inform their Commanding Officer in writing that they have applied for this examination. They are also required to submit NOC in this regard at the time of SSB interview.
- Candidates should note that in case a communication is received from their employer by the Commission withholding permission to the candidates applying for/appearing at the examination, their applications will be liable to be rejected/candidatures will be liable to be cancelled.
- NOTE : APPLICATIONS WITHOUT THE PRESCRIBED FEE (UNLESS REMISSION OF FEE IS CLAIMED AS IN PARA 4 ABOVE) OR INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS SHALL BE SUMMARILY REJECTED.
- No representation or correspondence regarding such rejection shall be entertained under any circumstances. Candidates are not required to submit alongwith their applications any certificate in support of their claims regarding age, educational qualifications, Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe/OBC and fee remission etc.
- The candidates applying for the examination should ensure that they fulfil all the eligibility conditions for admission to the examination.
- Their admission at all the stages of examination for which they are admitted by the Commission viz. written examination and interview test will be purely provisional, subject to their satisfying the prescribed eligibility conditions. If on verification at any time before or after the written examination or Interview Test, it is found that they do not fulfil any of the eligibility conditions, their candidature for the examination will be cancelled by the Commission.
Candidates are advised to keep ready the following documents in original alongwith their self attested copies soon after the declaration of the result of the written part of the examination which is likely to be declared in the month of May, 2018 for submission to the Army HQ/Naval HQ/Air HQ as the case may be :
- Matric/Higher Secondary School Certificate or its equivalent showing date of birth
- Degree/Provisional Degree Certificate/Marks sheet showing clearly having passed degree examination and eligible for award of degree.
In the first instance all qualified candidates eligible for SSB interview will carry their original Matric/Higher Secondary School Certificate as also their Degree/Provisional Degree Certificate/Marks sheet with them while going to the Services Selection Centres for SSB interview. Candidates who have not yet qualified the final year Degree examination must carry with them a certificate in original from the Principal of the College/Institution stating that the candidate has appeared/is appearing at the final year Degree examination. Candidates who do not carry the above certificates with them while going to the Services Selection Centres shall not be allowed to appear for the SSB interview. No relaxation for non-submission of the above certificates in original at the selection centre is allowed, and candidates who do not carry with them any of these certificates in original will not be permitted to appear for their SSB test and interview and they will be sent back home at their own expense.
If any of their claims is found to be incorrect/false/fraud/fabricated they may render themselves liable to disciplinary action by the Commission in terms of the following provisions:
A candidate who is or has been declared by the Commission to be guilty of :
- obtaining support for his/her candidature by any means, or
- impersonating, or
- procuring impersonation by any person, or
- submitting fabricated documents or documents which have been tampered with, or
- making statements which are incorrect or false or suppressing material information, or
- resorting to any other irregular or improper means in connection with his/her candidature for the examination, or
- using unfair means during the examination, or
- writing irrelevant matter, including obscene languages or pornographic matter, in the script(s), or
- misbehaving in any other manner in the examination hall, or
- harassing or doing bodily harm to the staff employed by the Commission for the conduct of their examination, or
- being in possession of or using mobile phone, pager or any electronic equipment or device or any other equipment capable of being used as a communication device during the examination, or
- violating any of the instructions issued to candidates alongwith their Admission Certificates permitting them to take the examination, or
- attempting to commit or as the case may be abetting the commission of all or any of the acts specified in the foregoing clauses, may in addition to rendering himself/herself liable to criminal prosecution be liable:
- to be disqualified by the Commission from the examination for which he/she is a candidate and/or
- to be debarred either permanently or for a specified period :
- by the Commission from any examination or selection held by them;
- by the Central Government from any employment under them; and
- if he/she is already in service under Government to disciplinary action under the appropriate rules.Provided that no penalty under this rules shall be imposed except after,
- giving the candidate an opportunity of making such representation, in writing as he/she may wish to make in that behalf; and
- taking the representation, if any, submitted by the candidate within the period allowed to him/her into consideration.
LAST DATE FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS CDS 1 2018 UPSC Combined Defence Services 1 2018
The Online Applications can be filled upto 04th December, 2017 till 6:00 PM
Candidates are required to apply online by using the website www.upsconline.nic.in Brief instructions for filling up the online Application Form have been given in the Appendix-II. Detailed instructions are available on the above mentioned website.
The eligible candidates shall be issued an e-Admit Card three weeks before the commencement of the examination. The e-Admit Card will be made available on the UPSC website (upsc.gov.in) for downloading by candidates. No e-Admit Card will be sent by post. All the applicants are required to provide valid & active e-mail i.d. while filling up online application form as the Commission may use electronic mode for contacting them.
CONDITIONS OF ELIGIBILITY CDS 1 2018 UPSC Combined Defence Services 1 2018
- Nationality: A candidate must be unmarried and must either be:
- a Citizen of India, or
- a subject of Bhutan, or
- a subject of Nepal, or
- a Tibetan refugee who came over to India before the 1st January, 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India, or
- a person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka and East African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
Provided that a candidate belonging to categories (ii), (iii), (iv) and (v) above shall be a person in whose favour a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Government of India.
Certificate of eligibility will, however, not be necessary in the case of candidates who are Gorkha subjects of Nepal.
A candidate in whose case a certificate of eligibility is necessary, may be admitted to the examination provisionally subject to the necessary certificate being given to him/her by the Govt. before declaration of result by UPSC.
- Age Limits, Sex and Marital Status :
- For IMA—Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 2nd January, 1995 and not later than 1st January, 2000 only are eligible.
- For Indian Naval Academy—Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 2nd January, 1995 and not later than 1st January, 2000 only are eligible.
- For Air Force Academy—
20 to 24 years as on 1st January, 2019 i.e. born not earlier than 2nd January, 1995 and not later than 1st January, 1999 (Upper age limit for candidates holding valid and current Commercial Pilot Licence issued by DGCA (India) is relaxable upto 26 yrs. i.e. born not earlier than 2nd January, 1993 and not later than 1st January, 1999) only are eligible.
Note: Candidate below 25 years of age must be unmarried. Marriage is not permitted during training. Married candidates above 25 years of age are eligible to apply but during training period they will neither be provided married accommodation nor can they live with family out of the premises.
- For Officers’ Training Academy—(SSC Course for men) unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 2nd January, 1994 and not later than 1st January, 2000 only are eligible.
- For Officers’ Training Academy—(SSC Women Non-Technical Course) Unmarried women, issueless widows who have not remarried and issueless divorcees (in possession of divorce documents) who have not remarried are eligible. They should have been born not earlier than 2nd January, 1994 and not later than 1st January, 2000.
NOTE : Male divorcee/widower candidates cannot be treated as unmarried male for the purpose of their admission in IMA/INA/AFA courses and accordingly they are not eligible for these courses.
The date of birth accepted by the Commission is that entered in the Matriculation or Secondary School Leaving Certificate or in a certificate recognised by an Indian University as equivalent to Matriculation or in an extract from a Register of Matriculates maintained by a University, which extract must be certified by the proper authority of the University or in the Higher Secondary or an equivalent examination certificate. These certificates are required to be submitted only after the declaration of the result of the written part of the examination. No other document relating to age like horoscopes, affidavits, birth extracts from Municipal Corporation, service records and the like will be accepted.
The expression Matriculation/Higher Secondary Examination Certificate in this part of the instruction includes the alternative certificates mentioned above. Sometimes the Matriculation/Higher Secondary Examination Certificate does not show the date of birth, or only shows the age by completed years or completed years and months. In such cases a candidate must send in addition to the self attested/certified copy of Matriculation/Higher Secondary Examination Certificate a self attested/certified copy of a certificate from the Headmaster/Principal of the Institution from where he/she passed the Matriculation/Higher Secondary Examination showing the date of his/her birth or exact age as recorded in the Admission Register of the Institution.
NOTE 1 : Candidates should note that only the Date of Birth as recorded in the Matriculation/Higher Secondary Examination Certificate or an equivalent certificate on the date of submission of applications will be accepted by the Commission and no subsequent request for its change will be considered or granted.
NOTE 2 : Candidates should also note that once a Date of Birth has been claimed by them and entered in the records of the Commission for the purpose of admission to an Examination, no change will be allowed subsequently or at a subsequent examination on any ground whatsoever.
NOTE 3 : The candidates should exercise due care while entering their date of birth. If on verification at any subsequent stage any variation is found in their date of birth from the one entered in their Matriculation or equivalent examination certificate, disciplinary action will be taken against them by the Commission under the Rules.
Educational Qualifications CDS 1 2018 UPSC Combined Defence Services 1 2018
- For I.M.A. and Officers’ Training Academy— Degree of a recognised University or equivalent.
- For Indian Naval Academy—Degree in Engineering from a recognised University/Institution.
- For Air Force Academy—Degree of a recognised University (with Physics and Mathematics at 10+2 level) or Bachelor of Engineering.
Graduates with first choice as Army/Navy/Air Force are to submit proof of graduation provisional certificates on the date of commencement of the SSB Interview at the SSB.
Candidates who are studying in the final year/semester Degree course and have yet to pass the final year degree examination can also apply provided candidate should not have any present backlog upto the last semester / year for which results have been declared upto the time of submission of application and they will be required to submit proof of passing the degree examination at the time of commencement of course to reach the IHQ of MoD (Army), Rtg `A’. CDSE Entry, West Block III, R. K. Puram, New Delhi-110066 in case of IMA/SSC first choice candidates and Naval HQ “DMPR” (OI & R Section), Room No. 204, ‘C’ Wing, Sena Bhawan, New Delhi-110011 in case of Navy first choice candidates and PO3(A)/Air Headquarters, ‘J’ Block, Room No. 17, Opp. Vayu Bhawan, Motilal Nehru Marg, New Delhi-110 106 in case of Air Force first choice candidates by the following dates failing which their candidature will stand cancelled :
- For admission to IMA on or before 1st January, 2019, Indian Naval Academy on or before 1st January, 2019 and Air Force Academy on or before 13th November, 2018.
- For admission to Officers’ Training Academy, Chennai on or before 1st April, 2019.
Candidates possessing professional and technical qualifications which are recognised by government as equivalent to professional and technical degrees would also be eligible for admission to the examination.
In exceptional cases the Commission may treat a candidate, who does not possess any of the qualifications prescribed in this rule as educationally qualified provided that he/she possesses qualifications, the standard of which in the opinion of the Commission, justifies his/her admission to the examination.
NOTE I : Candidates, who have yet to pass their degree examination will be eligible only if they are studying in the final year of degree examination. Those candidates who have yet to qualify in the final year Degree Examination and are allowed to appear in the UPSC Examination should note that this is only a special concession given to them. They are required to submit proof of passing the Degree Examination by the prescribed date and no request for extending this date will be entertained on the grounds of late conduct of basic qualifying University Examination, delay in declaration of results or any other ground whatsoever. Candidates who are studying in the final year/semester degree course are required to submit at the time of SSB interview a bonafide certificate issued by University/College stating that they will be able to submit their proof of passing the graduation degree examination by the specified date, failing which their candidature will be cancelled.
NOTE II : Candidates who are debarred by the Ministry of Defence from holding any type of commission in the Defence Services shall not be eligible for admission to the examination and if admitted, their candidature will be cancelled.
NOTE III : In the event of Air Force candidates being suspended from Flying training for failure to learn flying, they would be absorbed in the Navigation Branch of the IAF. This will be subject to availability of vacancies and fulfilling the laid down qualitative requirements (including 60% in graduation).
(d) Physical Standards :
Candidates must be physically fit according to physical standards for admission to Combined Defence Services Examination (I), 2018 as per guidelines given in Appendix-IV.
FEES CDS 1 2018 UPSC Combined Defence Services 1 2018
Candidates (excepting Female/SC/ST candidates who are exempted from payment of fee) are required to pay a fee of Rs. 200/- (Rupees Two Hundred Only) either by depositing the money in any Branch of SBI by cash, or by using net banking facility of SBI, State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur/State Bank of Hyderabad/State Bank of Mysore/State Bank of Patiala/State Bank of Travancore or by using Visa/Master Credit/Debit Card.
Note.1 : Applicants who opt for “Pay by Cash” mode should print the system generated Pay in-slip during Part-II registration and deposit the fee at the counter of SBI Branch on the next working day only. “Pay by Cash” mode option will be deactivated at 11:59 PM of 03.12.2017 i.e. one day before the closing date. However, applicants who have generated their Pay-in slip before it is de-activated may pay at the counter of SBI Branch during banking hours on the closing date. Such applicants who are unable to pay by cash on the closing date i.e. during banking hours at SBI Branch, for reason whatsoever, even if holding a valid Pay-in-Slip will have no other offline option but to opt for online Debit/Credit Card or internet Banking Payment mode on the closing date i.e. till 6:00 PM of 04.12.2017.
NOTE 2 : Candidates should note that payment of examination fee can be made only through the modes prescribed above. Payment of fee through any other mode is neither valid nor acceptable. Applications submitted without the prescribed fee/mode (unless remission of fee is claimed) shall be summarily rejected.
NOTE 3 :. Fee once paid shall not be refunded under any circumstances nor can the fee be held in reserve for any other examination or selection.
NOTE 4 : For the applicants in whose case payments details have not been received from the bank, they will be treated as fictitious payment cases and their applications will be rejected in the first instance. A list of all such applicants shall be made available on the Commission website within two weeks after the last day of submission of online application. The applicants shall be required to submit the proof of their fee payment within 10 days from the date of such communication either by hand or by speed post to the Commission. On receipt of documentary proof, genuine fee payment cases will be considered and their applications will be revived, if they are otherwise eligible.
ALL FEMALE CANDIDATES AND CANDIDATES BELONGING TO SCHEDULED CASTES/SCHEDULED TRIBES ARE NOT REQUIRED TO PAY ANY FEE. NO FEE EXEMPTION IS, HOWEVER, AVAILABLE TO OBC CANDIDATES AND THEY ARE REQUIRED TO PAY THE FULL PRESCREIBED FEE.
SCHEME OF EXAM CDS 1 2018 UPSC Combined Defence Services 1 2018
- The Competitive examination comprises:
- Written examination as shown in para 2 below.
Interview for intelligence and personality test (vide Part ‘B’ of this Appendix) of such candidates as may be called for interview at one of the Services Selection Centres.
The subjects of the written examination, the time allowed and the maximum marks allotted to each subject will be as follows:
(a) For Admission to Indian Military Academy, Indian Naval Academy and Air Force Academy:—
|2.||General Knowledge||2 Hours||100|
|3.||Elementary Mathematics||2 Hours||100|
|(b) For Admission to Officers’ Training Academy :—|
|2.||General Knowledge||2 Hours||100|
The maximum marks allotted to the written examination and to the interviews will be equal for each course i.e. the maximum marks allotted to the written examination and to the interviews will be 300, 300, 300 and 200 each for admission to the Indian Military Academy, Indian Naval Academy, Air Force Academy and Officers’ Training Academy respectively.
- The papers in all the subjects will consist of objective type questions only. The question papers (Test Booklets) of General Knowledge and Elementary Mathematics will be set bilingually in Hindi as well as English.
- In the question papers, wherever necessary, questions involving the metric system of Weights and Measures only will be set.
- Candidates must write the papers in their own hand. In no circumstances will they be allowed the help of a scribe to write answers for them.
- The Commission have discretion to fix qualifying marks in any or all the subjects of the examination.
- The candidates are not permitted to use calculator for answering objective type papers (Test Booklets). They should not therefore, bring the same inside the Examination Hall.
STANDARD AND SYLLABUS OF THE EXAMINATION CDS 1 2018 UPSC Combined Defence Services 1 2018
The standard of the papers in Elementary Mathematics will be of Matriculation level. The standard of papers in other subjects will approximately be such as may be expected of a graduate of an Indian University.
SYLLABUS CDS 1 2018 UPSC Combined Defence Services 1 2018
ENGLISH (Code No. 01)
The question paper will be designed to test the candidates’ understanding of English and workmanlike use of words.
GENERAL KNOWLEDGE (Code No. 02)
General Knowledge including knowledge of current events and of such matters of everyday observation and experience in their scientific aspects as may be expected of an educated person who has not made a special study of any scientific subject. The paper will also include questions on History of India and Geography of a nature which candidate should be able to answer without special study.
ELEMENTARY MATHEMATICS (Code No. 03)
Number System—Natural numbers, Integers, Rational and Real numbers. Fundamental operations, addition, substraction, multiplication, division, Square roots, Decimal fractions. Unitary method, time and distance, time and work, percentages, applications to simple and compound interest, profit and loss, ratio and proportion, variation.
Elementary Number Theory—Division algorithm. Prime and composite numbers. Tests of divisibility by 2, 3, 4, 5, 9 and 11. Multiples and factors. Factorisation Theorem. H.C.F. and L.C.M. Euclidean algorithm. Logarithms to base 10, laws of logarithms, use of logarithmic tables.
Basic Operations, simple factors, Remainder Theorem, H.C.F., L.C.M., Theory of polynomials, solutions of quadratic equations, relation between its roots and coefficients (Only real roots to be considered). Simultaneous linear equations in two unknowns—analytical and graphical solutions. Simultaneous linear inequations in two variables and their solutions. Practical problems leading to two simultaneous linear equations or inequations in two variables or quadratic equations in one variable & their solutions. Set language and set notation, Rational expressions and conditional identities, Laws of indices.
Sine ×, cosine ×, Tangent × when 0° < × < 90° Values of sin ×, cos × and tan ×, for × = 0°, 30°, 45°, 60° and 90°
Simple trigonometric identities.
Use of trigonometric tables.
Simple cases of heights and distances.
Lines and angles, Plane and plane figures, Theorems on (i) Properties of angles at a point, (ii) Parallel lines, (iii) Sides and angles of a triangle, (iv) Congruency of triangles, (v) Similar triangles, (vi) Concurrence of medians and altitudes, (vii) Properties of angles, sides and diagonals of a parallelogram, rectangle and square,Circles and its properties including tangents and normals, (ix) Loci.
Areas of squares, rectangles, parallelograms, triangle and circle. Areas of figures which can be split up into these figures (Field Book), Surface area and volume of cuboids, lateral surface and volume of right circular cones and cylinders, surface area and volume of spheres.
Collection and tabulation of statistical data, Graphical representation frequency polygons, histograms, bar charts, pie charts etc. Measures of central tendency.
INTELLIGENCE AND PERSONALITY TEST
The SSB procedure consists of two stage Selection process – stage I and stage II. Only those candidates who clear the stage I are permitted to appear for stage II. The details are:-
(a) Stage I comprises of Officer Intelligence Rating (OIR) tests are Picture Perception* Description Test (PP&DT). The candidates will be shortlisted based on combination of performance in OIR Test and PP&DT.
(b) Stage II Comprises of Interview, Group Testing Officer Tasks, Psychology Tests and the Conference. These tests are conducted over 4 days. The details of these tests are given on the website www.joinindianarmy.nic.in.
The personality of a candidate is assessed by three different assessors viz. The Interviewing Officer (IO), Group Testing Officer (GTO) and the Psychologist. There are no separate weightage for each test. The mks are allotted by assessors only after taking into consideration the performance of the candidate holistically in all the test. In addition, marks for Conference are also allotted based on the initial performance of the Candidate in the three techniques and decision of the Board. All these have equal weightage.
The various tests of IO, GTO and Psych are designed to bring out the presence/absence of Officer Like Qualities and their trainability in a candidate. Accordingly candidates are Recommended or Not Recommended at the SSB.
UPSC CDS 1 2018 Question Paper Combined Defence Services 2 2017 Previous Year Paper Model Paper 2018
- Elementary Mathematics UPSC CDS 1 2018 Question Paper Combined Defence Services 2 2017 Previous Year Paper Model Paper 2018
- General Knowledge UPSC CDS 1 2018 Question Paper Combined Defence Services 2 2017 Previous Year Paper Model Paper 2018
- English UPSC CDS 1 2018 Question Paper Combined Defence Services 2 2017 Previous Year Paper Model Paper 2018
UPSC LATEST NOTIFICATIONS
CMS Answer Keys Medical Science Paper 1 2017 Free PDF Download Combined Medical Services UPSC Solutions 2018
CDS Answer Keys Mathematics 2017 Free PDF Download Combined Defence Services UPSC Solutions Maths 2018
CDS Answer Keys GK 2017 Free PDF Download Combined Defence Services UPSC Solutions General Knowledge 2018
IAS 2018 – Applications rejected due to non-payment of fee for UPSC Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination, 2018
CISF Sample Question Papers General Ability, Intelligence and Professional Skills 2018 PDF Download Free UPSC LDCE AC(EXE) Previous Year Papers
CISF Sample Question Papers Essay, Precis Writing and Comprehension 2018 Free PDF Download UPSC LDCE AC(EXE)