IES Indian Engineering Services
UPSC IES Eligibility Criteria – Age Limit of Indian Engineering Services
The eligibility criteria for the UPSC Indian Engineering Services (IES) examination include factors such as nationality, age limits, educational qualifications, and physical standards. Below, I’ll provide a detailed explanation of the eligibility criteria for both the IES Preliminary Examination and the IES Main Examination:
UPSC IES Eligibility Criteria – Indian Engineering Services Preliminary, Mains
- Candidates must be one of the following:
- A citizen of India.
- A subject of Nepal or Bhutan.
- A Tibetan refugee who came to India before January 1, 1962, with the intention of permanently settling in India.
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia, or Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
2. Age Limit:
- Candidates must meet the following age limits:
- Minimum Age: 21 years
- Maximum Age: 30 years
- The age is calculated as of January 1 of the examination year.
- Age relaxation is provided for candidates from certain categories:
- SC/ST candidates: Up to 5 years of relaxation
- OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) candidates: Up to 3 years of relaxation
- Ex-servicemen: Up to 5 years of relaxation
- PWD (Persons with Disabilities) candidates: Up to 10 years of relaxation
3. Educational Qualifications:
- Candidates must have an engineering degree (B.E./B.Tech) from a recognized university or institution.
- M.Sc. degree or equivalent with Wireless Communications, Electronics, Radio Physics, Radio Engineering, or Radio Detection as a special subject is also accepted for certain posts in the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology.
4. Physical Standards:
- Candidates should meet the prescribed physical standards as per the requirements of the specific engineering services posts.
- Detailed physical standards are mentioned in the official UPSC IES notification.
5. Number of Attempts:
- The number of attempts for the IES examination is as follows:
- General Category: 6 attempts
- OBC Category: 9 attempts
- SC/ST Category: Unlimited attempts until the age limit is reached
6. Other Requirements:
- Candidates should be in good mental and physical health and free from any medical conditions that might interfere with the efficient performance of their duties.
- Candidates who have already been admitted to the Indian Engineering Services in the past are not eligible to apply.
Please note that the eligibility criteria may be subject to change, and candidates should refer to the official UPSC IES notification for the specific year they plan to appear for the examination to ensure they meet all eligibility requirements.
Meeting the eligibility criteria is essential for candidates to apply and appear for the IES examination. Candidates should thoroughly read and understand the official notification before applying.