The UPSC (Union Public Service Commission) Combined Medical Services (CMS) examination is conducted to recruit medical professionals for various services and posts in government medical institutions. Here’s a detailed explanation of the eligibility criteria for both the UPSC CMS Preliminary Examination and the UPSC CMS Main Examination:
UPSC CMS Eligibility Criteria – Age Limit of Combined Medical Services
- Candidates must be one of the following:
- A citizen of India.
- A subject of Nepal or Bhutan.
- A Tibetan refugee who came to India before January 1, 1962, with the intention of permanently settling in India.
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia, or Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
2. Age Limit for UPSC CMS – Combined Medical Services
- Candidates must meet the following age limits:
- Minimum Age: 21 years
- Maximum Age: 32 years
- The age is calculated as of January 1 of the examination year.
- Age relaxation is provided for candidates from certain categories:
- SC/ST candidates: Up to 5 years of relaxation
- OBC candidates: Up to 3 years of relaxation
- Ex-servicemen: Up to 5 years of relaxation
- PWD candidates: Up to 10 years of relaxation
3. Educational Qualifications:
- A candidate must have an M.B.B.S. degree from a recognized university or institution.
- Candidates who have appeared or are yet to appear for the final M.B.B.S. examination are also eligible, but they must produce their final passing certificate at the time of the interview.
4. Physical and Medical Standards for UPSC CMS
- Candidates should meet the prescribed physical and medical standards as per the requirements of the specific CMS posts.
- Detailed physical and medical standards are mentioned in the official UPSC CMS notification.
5. Number of Attempts:
- The number of attempts for the CMS examination is as follows:
- General Category: 6 attempts
- OBC Category: 9 attempts
- SC/ST Category: Unlimited attempts until the age limit is reached
6. Other Requirements:
- Candidates should be in good mental and physical health and free from any medical conditions that might interfere with the efficient performance of their duties.
- Candidates who have been previously selected for the CMS examination and have joined a government medical service must satisfy certain conditions before applying again.
Please note that the eligibility criteria may be subject to change, and candidates should refer to the official UPSC CMS notification for the specific year they plan to appear for the examination to ensure they meet all eligibility requirements.
Meeting the eligibility criteria is essential for candidates to apply and appear for the UPSC CMS examination. Candidates should thoroughly read and understand the official notification before applying.